environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into investment decisions boosts
the sustainability of the society and the environment.
This approach could better manage risks and enhance potential investment returns,
benefiting both the global financial system as well as the environment and society as a whole.
New investment opportunities are emerging as more organizations opt for sustainable business models.
Responsible Investing: Commitment Takes Action
Over the years, AB has integrated ESG factors into our investment decisions and being actively engaged in ESG-related issues.
This is AB’s commitment to responsible investing and corporate responsibility mission.
Dedicated Professionals Focused on Responsible Investing
Fixed Income Analysts
Responsible Investing Steering Committee and Proxy Committee Members
Responsible investing personnel numbers as of 31 March 2019. Number of analysts as of 31 December 2019.
Some responsible investing professionals are also members of the Responsible Investing Steering Committee and/or Proxy Committee. Source: AB.
Signed UN PRI
on ESG Criteria Over
Meetings Participated Nearly
Assets Managed under
ESG Principles Approx. US$
Source: AB, as of 31 March 2020
- 2013 Issued statement on controversial weapons
- 2012 Signatory of Japan’s 21ˢᵗ Century Principles of Financial Action (PFA)
- 2011 Signatory of UN Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI)
- 2010 Issued statement in response to the UK Stewardship Code*
- 1994 Joined Council of Institutional Investors (CII)
- Issued statement in response to Japan Stewardship Code
- Chaired Asset Management / Securities / Investment Banking Working Group of Japan’s 21ˢᵗ Century PFA
- Joined the International Corporate Governance Network (ICGN)
- Joined the Climate Bonds Initiative
- Joined Catalytic Finance Initiative
- Joined Climate Disclosure Project
- Became a member of CII’s Corporate Governance Advisory Council
- Became a committee member of the Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong’s Public Shareholders' Group
- Published Engagement Policy
- Joined Global ESG Task Force of Investment Company Institute (ICI)
- Joined ICI Proxy Committee
- Joined ICGN Board Governance Committee
- Became a supporting institution of the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures
Three Pillars of Action:
Building A Sustainable Portfolio
AB integrates ESG factors into its investment research process, and actively engages in ESG issues of the companies it invests in. With AB’s expertise and responsible investing strategies, it builds sustainable solutions for clients, while creating a positive social and environmental impact.
The above is based on UN’s Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI). Source: PRI, “Sustainable Goal-Based Investment Case Studies”, AB, as of 30 June 2019.